• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Concussion lawsuit against NFL settled

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Breaking: Settled for $765 mil. Comes to about $170,000 per player who filed. More details to come.

I'm surprised the amount was that low. I was expecting it to be in excess of a billion or two considering, according to Kevin Mawae, the No Fun League's estimated revenue by 2025 will be in excess of $27 billion. I was kinda hoping it wouldn't get settled because I wanted the NFL to disclose some of their reports and findings, not to mention explaining why the league's Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee was led for more than a decade by a rheumatologist.

The players are so stupid. Why would they settle.... without taking out fees, divided evenly, each player gets 42.5k

edit: I was doing the math using 18000 players because that was how I originally read it, but apparently it was only 4500 players? That changes it to 170k, which still isn't much. Plus they are opening it up to players that weren't on the lawsuit, which will drive the amount/player down.

apparently the lawyer fees are in addition to, so they wont take a cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and family of deceased players get some money too.

10 million for research/education fund
75 million for testing of former players.

When you break it down the NFL got off scott free on a price-per-person-involved level.

most people are estimated to get 2,000/year for 20 years. That's not going to do a whole lot.

Players that retire after the date of the settlement get nothing.

Worst part about it is that there will be no disclosure of what the NFL knew or didn't about concussions. So basically nothing changes.

Worst part about it is that there will be no disclosure of what the NFL knew or didn't about concussions. So basically nothing changes.
Yup.

Except instead of the NFL making 9.8 billion this year, they'll make just 9.

I want to feel bad for the players but they're just dumb. I thought the CBA was bad, this is laughable... the players are incapable of doing anything right when it comes to standing up for themselves.

Yup.

Except instead of the NFL making 9.8 billion this year, they'll make just 9.

I want to feel bad for the players but they're just dumb. I thought the CBA was bad, this is laughable... the players are incapable of doing anything right when it comes to standing up for themselves.

Either that, or the NFL is just so powerful that they could string along this lawsuit for years until the players' union or whoever was completely bankrupt, so they jumped on the first offer they got.

Either that, or the NFL is just so powerful that they could string along this lawsuit for years until the players' union or whoever was completely bankrupt, so they jumped on the first offer they got.

Well... you're either fighting for something or you're not.

So now we can write off all the bad, greedy owner bs we get every time there is a dispute. The players are absolutely, positively not any better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.