• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Seahawks Packers Referees SUCK

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Seahawks/Packers Referees SUCK

That was one of the biggest piece of total bull **** calls I can imagine! Anyone watching the game? That is enough for fans everywhere to simply stop watching/attending these games until we get the real refs back. This is just absurd!

Edit: Now they are explaining the simultaneous reception rule, but that just doesn't matter in this case. It was clear Jennings had possession...not to mention Tate pushed a defender down to get up for the reception.

On a side note: Jon Gruden in his infinite wisdom stated, "the Green Bay Packers don't deserve to fly home 6000 miles after this."

Total load of crap. Pete Carroll should have at least had the stones to say thanks to the refs for giving the Seahags that game. Unbelievable.

They just interviewed one of the best refs to officiate the game, Mike something or other. He clearly stated how very wrong this call was. I think it is unanimous...this is a terrible call!

Goodell is going to say it didn't happen!

I'm thinking of not watching football until real referees are back. Seriously.

Even halfway decent high school refs get this call correct. Referees at any level get this call correct. It's not quantum physics. A lot of the crap calls that we have seen is basic football that no one should get wrong. What's the point of playing, watching, coaching, etc.? Seriously.

I'm actually starting to believe Joe T. when he says that a lot of calls are coming straight from New York (he suggested as much on twitter). Seriously.

I was thinking the same thing BB, but it won't make a difference. People will still watch and the NFL will still make their money. I am beginning to hate the NFL! But I love football! At least I have my Seminoles to cheer on!

This game is going to bring a ton of fines. I don't think any of these players care though. Check the twitter accounts - warning, rough language.

https://twitter.com/TJLang70

http://twitter.com/jsitton71

https://twitter.com/JermichaelF88

And these...

SB Nation ‏@sbnation
MT @gregwrubell Mike Pereira says among replacement refs are "three former Pac-12 officials who had been let go for poor performance".

Clay Matthews posted Goodell's office phone number.
http://frrole.com/o/clay-matthews-just-posted-roger-goddels--wwtdd-atlanta

Drew Brees‏@drewbrees
I love this league and love the game of football, but tonight’s debacle hurts me greatly. This is NOT the league we’re supposed to represent.

I'm sure there is a lot more out there. These are just a few of what I've found early this morning.

The Fuhrer will be quick to crush Matthews especially, and slow to bring the real refs back.

:bsflag:

BB, I am with you. For the first time I can remember, I am seriously contemplating not watching. It is unbearable at this point.

Yeah ... that was a pretty terrible call. The morning shows are all talking about it.

I'm curious to see how long Goodell will act like no one's opinion matters but his.

Are we beginning to see the decline of the NFL? If Goodell isn't brought into check things are going to go downhill.

Here's the problem. Everyone is blaming the NFl and calling/emailing/tweeting the league office, which is great. Except that the NFL has already been paid, both in TV revenue and in tickets. The networks need to step up. Yeah, the same networks that have talking heads blasting the hell out of these joke referees need to have their higher ups call Herr Goodell and complain. Vociferously.

****. You think if any of the other shows CBS airs were this sloppily produced they would continue to air them? Hell no. They would go to Roger and demand their money back or at the very least cancel them. The networks will be hurt by decreased advertising dollars if this foolishness continues. They are the ones who need to step up.

Heard that $500 million gambled dollars (and about a billion fantasy points) changed hands on that call.

NFL just released a statement about this play.

In Monday's game between the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks, Seattle faced a 4th-and-10 from the Green Bay 24 with eight seconds remaining in the game.

Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson threw a pass into the end zone. Several players, including Seattle wide receiver Golden Tate and Green Bay safety M.D. Jennings, jumped into the air in an attempt to catch the ball.

While the ball is in the air, Tate can be seen shoving Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields to the ground. This should have been a penalty for offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game. It was not called and is not reviewable in instant replay.

When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

Replay Official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

The result of the game is final.

Applicable rules to the play are as follows:

A player (or players) jumping in the air has not legally gained possession of the ball until he satisfies the elements of a catch listed here.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3 of the NFL Rule Book defines a catch:

A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

When a player (or players) is going to the ground in the attempt to catch a pass, Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1 states:

Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 5 states:

Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

In absolute terms, the NFL's statement is 100% correct, however, if you notice, they did not comment on whether or not they think the on field call was correct or not. They only comment on what is review-able and whether there was indisputable evidence with which to over turn the on field call.

They took the chicken, lawyer like way out.

It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control.

There is no way that was a catch. At this point Jennings has the ball. Tate's right arm is nowhere near the ball. The NFL isn't going to be able to turn this into chicken salad.

Goodell continues to extend his lead in the race to become the worst commissioner in NFL history.

Attachments

• refs.jpg
    refs.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Any idiot could see that the defender had control of the ball. Are they waiting for the clouds to part and God himself to pronounce otherwise? If you can't trust your own eyes as 'indisputable evidence' I'm not sure where you're ever going to find it. The most unforgiveable part of the whole debacle? The ref who signalled TD wasn't even looking at the players...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.