• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2011 San Francisco 49ers

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
I gotta say Jim Harbaugh is one helluva coach, probably better than his brother. Just look what he did with a team that has only minimal changes from last year.

I think it is equally important to look what the front office has done there. They have been building their core the past few years through the draft while adding some free agents along the way. Harbaugh comes in and puts them in the NFC Championship game in his first season as coach.

If you don't think coaching at all positions is important, look at Alex Smith and Carlos Rogers this season.

Last edited:
Inappropriate apostrophe in 49ers? :nono:

You are hereby suspended from the grammar Nazi brotherhood until further notice :laugh:

As for Harbaugh, I got the exact opposite impression of him yesterday. He struck me as a complete dumbass and inept play caller who was constantly being bailed out by his players making miraculous plays. He pulled a Shannahan and constantly killed hot drives by running up the middle several times for no gain and settling for a punt or FG.

Also, calling timeout with 3 seconds left in the game to give Brees another chance? Boneheaded. He won't be around long, I can assure you of that.

He has to be the favorite for coach of the year. He's really carried over his success in college to the NFL.

And the change in Carlos is remarkable, and sad at the same time. He really gets great effort out of his players.

Inappropriate apostrophe in 49ers? :nono:

You are hereby suspended from the grammar Nazi brotherhood until further notice :laugh:

As for Harbaugh, I got the exact opposite impression of him yesterday. He struck me as a complete dumbass and inept play caller who was constantly being bailed out by his players making miraculous plays. He pulled a Shannahan and constantly killed hot drives by running up the middle several times for no gain and settling for a punt or FG.

Also, calling timeout with 3 seconds left in the game to give Brees another chance? Boneheaded. He won't be around long, I can assure you of that.

I have only one thing to say to that, "wrong!"

Oh, and what are you talking about...apostrophe?

Could this "sea change" in San Fransisco also be interpreted as a statement about just how lousy Nolan and Singletary were?

Could this "sea change" in San Fransisco also be interpreted as a statement about just how lousy Nolan and Singletary were?

Or that the talent they have finally come together...sure. But I don't think there are too many coaches that can come in and get the most out of their players like Harbaugh has.

Are there times Harbaugh lets his ego get in the way...yup! But he is a damn good coach and anyone that doesn't think so s blinded by something.

I have only one thing to say to that, "wrong!"

Oh, and what are you talking about...apostrophe?
I'm not criticizing his coaching during the season, I'm just stating the fact that his playcalling yesterday was horrific, and they only one in spite of themselves. Not that I'm complaining, because I hate the Saints :D

I don't want to take anything away from what Jim Harbaugh has done in SF. He is deserving of any honors that is coming his way.

That being said, it would be wise to judge him fairly in a few years. One season does not make a coaching career. His brother got off to a great start, but the B-more offense is not a juggernaut. Once the defense loses some players via retirement and free agency, the Ravens could become a very average team.

Jim Harbaugh inherited a solid defense and some good players on offense. Kudos to him for molding the group quickly and making them a contender. Let's give him a few years before his bust in Canton is displayed in our minds.

I don't want to take anything away from what Jim Harbaugh has done in SF. He is deserving of any honors that is coming his way.

That being said, it would be wise to judge him fairly in a few years. One season does not make a coaching career. His brother got off to a great start, but the B-more offense is not a juggernaut. Once the defense loses some players via retirement and free agency, the Ravens could become a very average team.

Jim Harbaugh inherited a solid defense and some good players on offense. Kudos to him for molding the group quickly and making them a contender. Let's give him a few years before his bust in Canton is displayed in our minds.

6-10 in 2010
13-3 in 2011

That is a sign of good coaching! Now, can he sustain it? Without judging him on his brother's record, I am going to say, likley yes. He developed a good team in Stanford and has come into the NFL in his 1st season and took a bad team and turned them into Super Bowl contenders.

I think it is wise to judge a man on his actions not his future. In the future I could become a nice guy, my actions prove otherwise, that's why Extreme calls me Richard. :laugh:

Ah yes, that Richard Cranium dude makes an appearance on occasion.

Re: Harbaugh. Let's see where it goes over the next decade or so.

Re: Harbaugh. Let's see where it goes over the next decade or so.

And this is exactly what I don't understand about your thinking. You give no explanation why you think Harbaugh will decline after he has done a fantastic job of coaching his entire career, college and so far at the professional level. He is a bit of an egotist, but the man has proven wherever he has coached that he can win.

What gives you the impression that he will not succeed? He has already succeeded, but why do you think he will be unable to sustain it? Instead of just saying it is so, give us a reason you believe this.

I'm not criticizing his coaching during the season, I'm just stating the fact that his playcalling yesterday was horrific, and they only one in spite of themselves. Not that I'm complaining, because I hate the Saints :D

Umm... you talk about apostrophes how about the proper use of one/won? :laugh:

Read my OP. Did I say he was going to fail? The only thing I am suggesting is that we give it time before annointing him. Nothing more, nothing less. Judge him over several years? Yes. Judge him after one season? No.

6-10 in 2010
13-3 in 2011

That is a sign of good coaching! Now, can he sustain it? Without judging him on his brother's record, I am going to say, likley yes. He developed a good team in Stanford and has come into the NFL in his 1st season and took a bad team and turned them into Super Bowl contenders.

I think it is wise to judge a man on his actions not his future. In the future I could become a nice guy, my actions prove otherwise, that's why Extreme calls me Richard. :laugh:

Going from 6-10 to 13-3 is a sign of a relative improvement in coaching, but from what level to what level? That was what my question about Nolan and Singletary was about. Going from horrible coaching to good coaching may have been enough. I'm not ragging on Harbaugh just trying to establish a baseline from which an estimate of what term to use when asigning a "value level" on his effect on the team's performance. He's obviously had a major impact on how the 49ers are playing. "Good" versus "great" coaching are basically vague terms and if you're going to use one you need to answer one question-compared to what?

Read my OP. Did I say he was going to fail? The only thing I am suggesting is that we give it time before annointing him. Nothing more, nothing less. Judge him over several years? Yes. Judge him after one season? No.

You are being coy. Quit playing games! You said don't judge him yet, but I got your inference.

You state, judge him over time? OK, well let's look at his coaching career thus far.

University of San Diego - 29 wins 6 losses
Stanford University 29 wins 21 losses
(He took over a terrible Stanford Football program who had not had a winning record in years and nearly took an academics first program to the National Championship)

Each team got better the longer he coached them.

13-3 as a professional head coach.

That's a total record of 71 - 24 as a head coach over 8 years. That's a pretty solid record.

I will say it again! Jim Harbaugh has proven he is a damn good coach.
I did not anoint him to anything! I said he is a damn good coach!

You have nothing to suggest anything otherwise, just a lot of subtle innuendos and conjecture. I am basing my claim on facts!

serv, there is something to be said about the other coaches. I am not going to say much about Nolan because he was almost 2 years removed when Harbaugh took over but it looks like Singletary was bad. Why else would Harbaugh have so much success with practically the same team, right? Let's also take into account the lack of an off-season with which to get his game plan under way. Should we forget about that?

Last edited:
serv, there is something to be said about the other coaches. I am not going to say much about Nolan because he was almost 2 years removed when Harbaugh took over but it looks like Singletary was bad. Why else would Harbaugh have so much success with practically the same team, right? Let's also take into account the lack of an off-season with which to get his game plan under way. Should we forget about that?

I just want to clarify something. I am not trying to establish an "either/or" on the Singletary was bad/Harbaugh is good question. I'm saying that the change from a 6-10 to a 13-3 record is most likely the result of a combination of inept coaching by Singletary and good coaching by Harbaugh.

El, I challenge you to find where I said that Jim Harbaugh will not be considered as a great coach at some point. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Let's see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.