• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Possible Trades Before Final 53

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
I was thinking about this as Marcus Mason began to impress compounded by the less impressive play of Ladell Betts. He was a 2nd round pick 7 years ago, could we get perhaps a 3rd pick for him from a team desperate enough for RB depth?

The link I have attached suggests we trade Albert Montgomery to Carolina before the final cuts. What could we get for him? Would it even be wise since he is such a great back up? The article says he is disgruntled with the arrival of Big Al.

You'd think a lot more of this goes on toward the end of the pre-season, but I guess teams are waiting to see what is available for free.

Is this even something that we should consider?

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-nfl/20090902/czar.tradesbeforekickoff/

I think you have to produce consistently in the NFL before you can become "disgruntled." Otherwise you're just making noise for no reason. I love Monty, but he has zero leverage.

the one disgruntled player that may have trade value is Anthony Montgomery. His playing time is reduced to due the arrival of Albert and he is a free agent after this season and sure to be on the market.

the trouble is neither Albert nor Cornelius Griffin have shown a history of playing all 16 games and the extra depth may be needed over a long season.

the one disgruntled player that may have trade value is Anthony Montgomery. His playing time is reduced to due the arrival of Albert and he is a free agent after this season and sure to be on the market.

the trouble is neither Albert nor Cornelius Griffin have shown a history of playing all 16 games and the extra depth may be needed over a long season.

True. I like Lorenzo Alexander in that backup role and he's bit quicker than Montgomery but he also seems a bit easier to move. Another tough call for the FO. Still, if I could get a pick for Monty I think I'd pull the trigger.

I hate to say it but the same with Betts. If we could get a pick for him and let Mason take his spot, I'd probably do it although he may not have much trade value unless it's within the division and someone wants more info on our offense.

Betts is another guy, like Todd Collins, that I think could be a surprise cut.

He has virtually no upside besides being a solid backup. His running style isn't even very different than Clinton Portis.

With your backup runners, I feel strongly that there should be a distinct difference between them and the starters. Most good running tandems are like that. One is more of a power back the other more nimble and swift. Then defenses actually have to prepare for more, and think about who is in the game and who is not.

I don't really believe the front office is so crazy/smart to think like that, though. Betts is a solid backup. And he can start. But he's not exactly getting younger.

Maybe I'm way off base.

Except, of course, that Betts is generally considered to be the best receiver out of the backfield group. Not sure I believe he is that much better than CP but that is at least the perception.

Montgomery to me would be a great deal if we could trade for a tackle who could spot start if need be.

I like Montgomery b/c of his tangibles, but there's a reason he's the #4 tackle on the team.....same reason he fell down to being a 6th rounder in the draft. The nice thing about the Skins is that you have Daniels and Alexander who could slip inside if need be and maybe you give Antonio Dixon a shot on the team. Dixon could be inactive most of the time and then if an injury occurs, or if Albert and Grif need some rest, activate him on the gameday roster.

Collins is too valuable to let go right now. Colt is getting there but I don't think he's ready for primetime......

I don't think the Skins would trade Betts so I won't even go there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.