• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Quotes - Zorn, Brennan, Campell, Hall, Belichick, Wilhite

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
WASHINGTON REDSKINS-NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

POSTGAME QUOTES

FedExField – August 28, 2009

REDSKINS HEAD COACH JIM ZORN

On Jason Campbell’s performance tonight:

“I thought Jason started out strong. I wish we had completed that one pass that Santana Moss got behind the defender. There were a couple of plays that we will continue to learn and push him to move on. He got stuck on a couple of receivers, but I was very pleased. He came out aggressive. He was accurate. He was real solid with what he had to do on the line of scrimmage. His tempo was very good. I think he was excited.”

On how the offense felt after having numerous three-and-outs:

“That was frustrating because we were playing a good team. We are going to get some three-and-outs, but what was great about our defense is that we didn’t get down on ourselves. Nobody was down, we just had to find the formula for moving the ball on the ground. We were struggling early with moving the ball on the ground and then we found some of the things we were looking for. We mixed it up with some aggressive pass plays and I thought our receivers did a nice job of separating from defenders. We left a couple out there that we could have had. We will look at the video and probably see more. We had some good plays out there on offense.”

On having 15 penalties in the game:

“That is one of the real disappointments in the game. As I talked about it with our team, you could just see everyone groaning. We all have to just take responsibility for that as a group. We had too many of the 15-yard type and there were several times on defense where we could’ve gotten off the field and we didn’t because of that. That happened last week as well but not as much. We had a few this week that really hurt us. They have a great offense. You let them have that extra series and bad results happen for the home team.”

On the unsportsmanlike penalty call against the bench:

“There was a lot of guys yelling and screaming on the bench. The official had it in his mind that somebody had been harsher than they needed to be. There was a little discrepancy about what was being said and how loud it was being said.”

On if he saw Bill Belichick call a timeout before the fumble at the end of the game:

“I didn’t see it. That is why I called timeout because they all of a sudden gave the ball back and I thought it was clearly our ball. I saw the fumble, I saw the snap, I saw us recover so I wanted a clarification instead of just letting them go and do their thing. That’s why I called a timeout, to see what happened. Clearly Bill called timeout before the ball was even close to being snapped, so it was legal play.”

On Colt Brennan’s night:

“I would say it was a mixed bag. He had some really big plays, a couple of really big throws and a couple of great adjustments. Yet he showed his lack of NFL experience out there, especially on the interception and on the sack. But other than that he is going to like some of the things that he did.”

On if it was his plan to let Colt Brennan finish the end of the game:

“Yes it was. I want to get a good feel for him. He loves to play so it is no sweat for him to go out and play as much as he can.”

On if he has seen growth from Colt Brennan:

“Yes, in some areas and there is still more. He is still young and I liked what he did today.”

On if he felt like he got into a groove tonight:

“Yes, most definitely. We came out, we tried to establish ourselves a little bit more in our passing game, trying to get some underneath throws and attack downfield. One thing we wanted to get a feel about since we were going against such a great team was to see how we could match up and see how our younger guys could come out and help us. Right now, I see that we have a lot of depth at our receiver position – Marko Mitchell, Devin Thomas, and Malcolm Kelly are all coming along. I think that’s only going to benefit and help us throughout the season.”

On how he feels after the shot he took to his arm:

“I feel good. I feel great right now. When it first happened, it was an intense hit right underneath my shoulder. It felt like a stinger for a second, but I’m definitely fine now.”

On if the offense is now ready for the regular season:

“Yes, I feel like we’re ready. We’ve practiced a whole lot during the week and tonight we played three quarters. Then, we were almost able to take another drive down and score in the third quarter. We put a game plan together, we came out and played together and tried to build some continuity; and guys got in the flow of the game because we knew we were going to play the entire first half and maybe a little bit in the third quarter. So, the mindset and everything, as a unit, was a little different.”

On if there was a throw he would like back tonight:

“Maybe the one to Santana [Moss], you know the deep ball. Last week, it was a yard short. This week, it was a yard long. So, next time, it’ll be right in the chest.”

On the importance of wide receiver Santana Moss’ third down catch:

“It was big. We were trying to come out and throw one to Malcolm Kelly, but the guy buzzed right underneath it. I knew I couldn’t get my [running] back out because he was in protection, so I was able to come back across and throw the ball to Santana. It’s not something you want to do all the time because sometimes guys can pick those and go back the other way. Santana made a great catch and then we were able to get the big play with [tight end Chris] Cooley. Those are the type of plays that are going to be game-changers for us. It’s hard to continue to score when you’re having 14 and 15 play drives and put a lot of points on the board – it’s not going to happen. You’ve got to be able to have those big plays to get you down the field and help you score.”

On the offensive line’s performance during the preseason:

“I haven’t been sacked. They’ve done an outstanding job of protecting as a unit. I think a lot of it has to do with communication and guys just being on the same page. We’re facing great fronts. You get Baltimore, Pittsburgh and now New England; from my perspective, I feel confident now that I have time to get through a lot of my progressions.”

Redskins Quarterback Colt Brennan

On his interception that was returned for a touchdown:

“I knew it was man [coverage]. When it is man coverage like that, you’ve got to be able to throw a perfect ball. The cornerback had good coverage. If I threw it a little more out front, we might have been alright. Unfortunately, I kind of put it on him. The cornerback was able to step in front and pick it.”

On if he should have thrown the ball differently on the interception:

“We got it on the goal line. Everything happens so much faster down there. I was just trying to squeeze one in there. It was man and the receiver broke out and I tried to put it on him. If I had put it more out front, the receiver may have made the play and we may have made the play and been in the end zone.”

On his touchdown pass:

“It was third down and they were playing a coverage that at first I did not think the play would be there but the safety stayed inside. Marko Mitchell did a great job. He was supposed to run a hitch and stop and he realized the defense had busted the coverage. So, he put his hand up and ran for the end zone. I saw him at the last second and gave it to him.”

On the feeling of relief following the touchdown pass:

“Last year I was taking chances and it seemed like everything was going great. This year, it seems like every time I take a chance, I pay for it. To finally get in the end zone and finally have a touchdown, it is like a monkey is off my back.”

REDSKINS QUARTERBACK JASON CAMPBELL

“Yes, most definitely. We came out, we tried to establish ourselves a little bit more in our passing game, trying to get some underneath throws and attack downfield. One thing we wanted to get a feel about since we were going against such a great team was to see how we could match up and see how our younger guys could come out and help us. Right now, I see that we have a lot of depth at our receiver position – Marko Mitchell, Devin Thomas, and Malcolm Kelly are all coming along. I think that’s only going to benefit and help us throughout the season.”

On how he feels after the shot he took to his arm:

“I feel good. I feel great right now. When it first happened, it was an intense hit right underneath my shoulder. It felt like a stinger for a second, but I’m definitely fine now.”

On if the offense is now ready for the regular season:

“Yes, I feel like we’re ready. We’ve practiced a whole lot during the week and tonight we played three quarters. Then, we were almost able to take another drive down and score in the third quarter. We put a game plan together, we came out and played together and tried to build some continuity; and guys got in the flow of the game because we knew we were going to play the entire first half and maybe a little bit in the third quarter. So, the mindset and everything, as a unit, was a little different.”

On if there was a throw he would like back tonight:

“Maybe the one to Santana [Moss], you know the deep ball. Last week, it was a yard short. This week, it was a yard long. So, next time, it’ll be right in the chest.”

On the importance of wide receiver Santana Moss’ third down catch:

“It was big. We were trying to come out and throw one to Malcolm Kelly, but the guy buzzed right underneath it. I knew I couldn’t get my [running] back out because he was in protection, so I was able to come back across and throw the ball to Santana. It’s not something you want to do all the time because sometimes guys can pick those and go back the other way. Santana made a great catch and then we were able to get the big play with [tight end Chris] Cooley. Those are the type of plays that are going to be game-changers for us. It’s hard to continue to score when you’re having 14 and 15 play drives and put a lot of points on the board – it’s not going to happen. You’ve got to be able to have those big plays to get you down the field and help you score.”

On the offensive line’s performance during the preseason:

“I haven’t been sacked. They’ve done an outstanding job of protecting as a unit. I think a lot of it has to do with communication and guys just being on the same page. We’re facing great fronts. You get Baltimore, Pittsburgh and now New England; from my perspective, I feel confident now that I have time to get through a lot of my progressions.”

On the team’s performance in the first half:

“We came out and had some fun. We tried to execute a lot of different areas of the field. I just wish we had that bomb back, that one shot to Santana [Moss] deep down the field. Those are things that we have to continue to keep doing because those are game changing plays that can help us in the season. So it was exciting to get out here and play for almost three full quarters and get our feet wet and get our feel almost a full game. We’re excited about some of the things that we did but we can still do better.”

On the Redskins offense taking shots down the field:

“That’s something that we have done the last two weeks. Last week we took a couple shots, this week we did the same thing. We have to continue to keep doing that. That’s only going to help us have explosive plays and to score points in this league. You have to be able to put the balls down the field and come up with some big plays. [Chris] Cooley had a great catch and run down the sideline. You can see our guys – the play wasn’t over – they kept running and got blockers in front of him. It’s a team effort.”

Redskins Cornerback DeAngelo Hall:

On the state of the Redskins defense:

“We still have to get better. I think that everybody knows that it’s a work in progress. This was a good test. I think we did pretty good. We made adjustments late and we were able to get to him. I think that if we would have stayed out there we still would be getting to him right now.”

On the challenges of facing a team like the New England Patriots:

“They have a lot of weapons over there on that offense. We knew that. We knew they had a lot of weapons and we knew that our matchup between us and them with all those weapons was going to give us a nice measuring stick. Like I said, I felt like if we had stayed out there and played a real football game I think we had a nice recipe dialed up to where we could get to them and confuse them a little bit. I feel good. I feel good about this team, I feel good about this defense. The offense came out there and played phenomenal football and kept us in it. You need a team. You need all facets of the game.”

Redskins Safety LaRon Landry

On the benefits of playing a team like the Patriots, with offensive talent such as Tom Brady and Randy Moss:

“That’s why we stayed in so long. That’s why we came back in when the second half started because we wanted to get more looks.”

On the second touchdown Randy Moss scored tonight:

“When [Tom Brady] started to scramble, I just lost sight of him. He ran a great route, and Tom did a great job of coming back to him because he looked at him and then I thought he was going away. Then he started scrambling, I took my eyes off him, and he got loose.”

Patriots Head Coach Bill Bilicheck

On his overall thoughts about the game:

“They’re a real good football team. They’ve got a lot of talented players, and I thought our guys hung in and battled pretty well here on the road. We had some other guys playing at the end of the game. It’s good to see us make enough plays to win. I thought Patrick [Chung] made a nice play on the punt return, and we were able to get them stopped there on third down and kick a field goal. It was a good, competitive game on the road. That’s what we needed. We certainly have a lot of things to build on here and corrections we need to make, but overall I was pleased with the effort we put out there and with the competitiveness of the game.”

On the health of Patriots QB Tom Brady:

“I’m sure he has some bumps and bruises like everybody else that played in the game.”

On the play of the Patriots offense:

“I thought our team played competitively. We did some good things. They’re a good defensive team, and they gave us some problems. I thought Tom handled himself well - as most of the offense did.”

On his team’s game plan heading into tonight:

“It wasn’t a big game plan game. The thought was to go out there and try to compete against them, and I thought we did that.”

On the interception by Patriots CB Jonathan Wilhite:

“It looked like Jonathan [Wilhite] cut the route. He got a good block from [Richard] Seymour on the quarterback and took it back about 95 or 100 yards.”

Patriots cornerback Jonathan Wilhite

On how he read the interception play:

“I didn’t see anything. All I knew was looking at the replay, that our D-line had a great rush on the play. I was just in my zone, I made a play.”

On his return touchdown:

“I got some good blocks on the run; and six points.”

Last edited:
2 quick thoughts here...

Firstly, Zorn's assessment of Colt's play was pretty generous. If those are his genuine feelings, then Brennan may have more of a hold on the #3 spot than we believe. The impression I get from those comments (although, granted, Zorn could just be being kind) is that Zorn feels Brennan's got enough upside to forgive some bonehead decisions...I could be reading into that - but those don't sound like the comments a Coach getting ready to can/give up on a player would make. That's surprising.

Secondly, Brennan still doesn't seem to get it. On his 2 bonehead plays in the red zone, it's not about making a better throw - it's about not trying to make that throw into tight coverage - period. It's not about you making a big play - it's about preserving points in that scenario. I'm not arguing that a QB shouldn't take chances in the red zone - obviously, to some degree, every throw is a risk. But solid QBs take calculated risks. I saw no thought-process in evidence, particularly on the one throw. It's a little disturbing that Brennan (at least from these comments) doesn't seem to get that.

Secondly, Brennan still doesn't seem to get it. On his 2 bonehead plays in the red zone, it's not about making a better throw - it's about not trying to make that throw into tight coverage - period. It's not about you making a big play - it's about preserving points in that scenario. I'm not arguing that a QB shouldn't take chances in the red zone - obviously, to some degree, every throw is a risk. But solid QBs take calculated risks. I saw no thought-process in evidence, particularly on the one throw. It's a little disturbing that Brennan (at least from these comments) doesn't seem to get that.
I'm going to look at it again, but I think Colt may be making a reasonable point there.

The defender who made the play was behind Hackett and had underneath coverage in hand, which is unfortunately where Colt threw it. Not just too low, but not out in front enough, making it easy pickings.

I don't think there was a defender in range in front of Hackett, however. If that's the case, if Colt puts that ball over and out front of Hackett and lets him run to it, it's an easy score and we're all dancing. Which would make the decision to go to Hackett not the problem, but the actual throw.

If tape review shows a defender in range out front though, then no excuses.

Will report back shortly.

Well, I don't necessarily agree with you on your assessment of Brennan. I think people are fickle about quarterback play. On one hand people are looking for big plays from Campbell to get the offense going and on the other hand you don't want the same thing from Brennan. Last year it was Brennan's big play ability that endeared him to the hearts of skin's fans, now it's wrong? It's a learning process and to many people forget that. I also find it interesting that after a brief time in one game, that people automatically think that Daniel's is the second coming. Quite frankly I think Brennan is a lot farther ahead in the process than Campbell was at the same point. People need to get a grip and find some balance in their thought process on the quarterback play.

I don't think it matters...

I don't have the benefit of TIVO, so if my memory of the throw is off, let me know. But my point is, you DON'T throw laterally on that part of the field (in certain scoring position) unless it's either a post where the ball is either caught or goes out of bounds, or the coverage breaks down and you have someone wide-open. Any other lateral throw, you're asking for a defender to step in front of the ball and at best make a pick, at worst, make a pick and take it to the house.

Again, I'm not in favor of pure conservatism in the red zone, that's equally problematic. But a QB has to have some pretty hard and fast 'do's' and 'don'ts' for how they're going to approach decision-making in the red zone. Maybe it's not fair to assess Brennan from that standpoint - beyond his youth and inexperience, he's fighting for his NFL life right now. So his decisions probably aren't based on what's smart, but on what might impress the coaches (ie...TD throws in the red zone). Ironically, I think THIS coach is looking for something different. He's looking for a steady and capable set of hands connected to an intelligent mind.

Well, I don't necessarily agree with you on your assessment of Brennan. I think people are fickle about quarterback play. On one hand people are looking for big plays from Campbell to get the offense going and on the other hand you don't want the same thing from Brennan. Last year it was Brennan's big play ability that endeared him to the hearts of skin's fans, now it's wrong? It's a learning process and to many people forget that. I also find it interesting that after a brief time in one game, that people automatically think that Daniel's is the second coming. Quite frankly I think Brennan is a lot farther ahead in the process than Campbell was at the same point. People need to get a grip and find some balance in their thought process on the quarterback play.

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point. I don't think the 'get a grip' added anything to your argument though :)

I love Brennan, and want him to succeed. My point isn't specific to Colt - it's NFL QB-ing 101 , don't turn the ball over in the red zone. I don't think anyone can argue that point with me with a straight face. That doesn't mean I think Brennan should be gone because of the outcomes of a couple plays - then again, it's not up to me. I'm simply saying that if he doesn't learn to avoid those kinds of plays in the red zone, he won't be here for me to pull for.

Agree in general theory, Billifshead, if not in a couple particulars.

The concern over Colt's decision-making is legit. There's a clear distinction between "big play ability" and "really bad decisions." The latter being what we're talking about in this instance. Even a second-year QB is expected to understand protecting the ball in certain situations, and Colt is walking a fine line in that regard.

On Chase Daniel ... I agree it's a mistake to get all carried away with 4th quarter preseason heroics. See Babe Laufenberg. For me personally, what I wrote about him in my game preview wasn't based on jsut that though, it was based on having watched the kid pretty much do exactly what he did in his pro debut since he was a high school junior. I don't think anyone has seriously suggested he's ready to challenge anyone for a starting job ... but reasonable people can look at the way he handled himself last week in his first chance, and take notice.

Boone- check the text. There are some Jason Campbell quotes thrown in with the Coach Zorn quotes starting with:

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point. I don't think the 'get a grip' added anything to your argument though :)

I love Brennan, and want him to succeed. My point isn't specific to Colt - it's NFL QB-ing 101 , don't turn the ball over in the red zone. I don't think anyone can argue that point with me with a straight face. That doesn't mean I think Brennan should be gone because of the outcomes of a couple plays - then again, it's not up to me. I'm simply saying that if he doesn't learn to avoid those kinds of plays in the red zone, he won't be here for me to pull for.

Please understand,the "Get a grip" is a general statement on the Redskin Nation's frenzy over the entire QB situation.:)

I would agree that he has made some sophomore mistakes. I see Brennan more of the Favre/gunslinger style quarterback and I think his long term potential is fantastic. I don't want to see us make the same mistake with him that the Falcons did with Favre.

I have made this comment previously, but the sad truth is that, for guys like Brennan - we may never find out whether he is a future Joe Montana who simply needs time to learn the position at the NFL level, or a talented scrub who doesn't have the smarts to make it as a pro. The roster limitations the NFL cling to, despite having injury rates double or triple that of 20 years ago, mean many talented unknowns will never get the chance to have their stories unfold.

The NFL really needs to either expand the allowable roster size, or make Practice Squad players untouchable, to allow it to really become a developmental staging area for less seasoned or unheralded players to grow instead of becoming eventual castaways. Some people say that truly talented players will find a way to make it and will eventually 'get their chance' in the NFL, but I don't really believe that's always the case any more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.