• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Lessons Learned and Still Learning

JM

The Cheerleader
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
My very first post gave the brief overview of why I came to this website....my Dad primarily and friendship and my inquisitive nature.....but once here I was pretty quickly pulled in to the threads and discussions.....not so much the football talks but I still read them with interest because they are well written and you are never too old to learn new stuff.

Here are four reasons I'll keep coming back (you guys seem to like lists so this format seemed to suit well):

4. I just can't decide how I feel about Vick. I envy Boone's visceral reaction mostly because it is so cut and dried. I have a family member who did some time at Leavenworth and although his issue involved drugs and not something so horrible as what Vick did, I struggle with the issue of forgiveness and restitution. I've also worked at prisons in a volunteer capacity and maybe that makes the lines less clear for me. The answer for now, for me, is to keep reading your website (in spite of Boone's post I find it unbiased and open) and continue to gather information so that I can make a decision...I really want to have an opinion on this. BTW I would classify myself, if forced to, as a moderate plus I'm the daughter of two Marines and the spouse of a retired Marine so perhaps a little right of moderate.

3. The camaraderie is palpable. Yes, there are a lot of you who know each other from past websites...but you remain open to new people (like me) and are a generally a friendly bunch that listen to each other. I like that.

2. The blogs.....okay...I know VERY LITTLE about the technical aspects of football....but you should know that since reading your blogs and posts I now feel a little foothold into the game. Before it was a sheer rock face with the score on top....now there are little toeholds embedded into the rock that are allowing me to have more of an understanding of the climb. I think that is pretty cool myself. My dad would have loved loved loved this....that his daughter might have been able to sit next to him and comment on more than commercials.

1. And as a side bar to the blogs...I'm a teacher, it's refreshing to learn new stuff. I teach a remedial reading class and vocabulary instruction is a key part. Well, guess what? From your website I have been placed in the student seat. I have to READ AND RE-READ to comprehend much of the football chatter. My reading of your stuff is SLOW. If you were to test me on it, I'd probably be getting a D right now. So when my kids join me next week in that classroom, I am going to share with them this important lesson...and since most of them are boys I think they will get quite a kick out of this.

Posting this because I thought you might be interested in the "evolution of a new/old fan?" Your website is key...keep up the good work. SOMEHOW I'm going to sneak in a Redskins t-shirt under a Patriots sweatshirt next week when they scrimmage....shhhh....don't tell the husband.....LOL

Whoa...WAIT!!! A Pats sweatshirt!?!? Get out!!!! :D

As a fellow female 'Skins fan who likes to peruse Redskins football message boards...welcome!

Welcome Noob, 'er Newb. :) This is a great site with really good folks. BTW,regarding item 1, if you enjoy the level of discourse here, you should check out http://www.thenoosphere.com/
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Shame on me for missing this thread until now.

Newbie, thanks for the personal and unguarded comments. I'll be honest, nothing makes me prouder to be part of this project than hearing that we might just be, in fact, on the right path in our goal to create not "just" another football site. Please don't be shy about asking questions, making observations, pointing out flaws you see ... any of it. One thing that will never happen here is anyone being made to feel excluded, condescended to or simply ignored. You have our word on that.

Cheers. :)

Newb, that's a great post.

I should warn you though, we all know a lot less than we think we do ... especially Om. :D

1. And as a side bar to the blogs...I'm a teacher, it's refreshing to learn new stuff. I teach a remedial reading class and vocabulary instruction is a key part. Well, guess what? From your website I have been placed in the student seat. I have to READ AND RE-READ to comprehend much of the football chatter. My reading of your stuff is SLOW. If you were to test me on it, I'd probably be getting a D right now. So when my kids join me next week in that classroom, I am going to share with them this important lesson...and since most of them are boys I think they will get quite a kick out of this.

Welcome. I am in education also......Director of Special Programs. The members of this board will help you with any homework and the night before the exam, we will have a study group.

Have a great time!

Thanks all...and just so you know...there was NO HIDING my Redskins shirt last night. I wore it loud and proud...no more skulking about my own preferences...I was raised here, not in New England dammit. Thanks, Dad

Whoa...WAIT!!! A Pats sweatshirt!?!? Get out!!!! :D

As a fellow female 'Skins fan who likes to peruse Redskins football message boards...welcome!

Welcome. I am in education also......Director of Special Programs. The members of this board will help you with any homework and the night before the exam, we will have a study group.

Have a great time!

As a fellow female 'skins fan in education as well (I teach 7th grade Language Arts and Social Studies), WELCOME!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.