• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Feeling the economical pinch yet ?

Miles Monroe

The Owner's Favorite
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
While my job is fairly secure, the tighter then normal economy is starting to hit home for me. The fact that I'm posting mid afternoon on a Tuesday is proof of that.

Over the past four weeks, I have worked less and less hours, to the point that I might be lucky to get 18 to 20 hours in this week. People are ignoring needed repairs, and blowing off scheduled services, compounding our normal slow summer season.

Anybody else feeling the pinch at this point ?

Pinch?

Over here it's been more like a strangle hold for quite some time. Just recently the pressure seems to be abating and moving toward a pinch. My business has improved noticeably over the past month. Whether that trend continues is the big question.

my job is getting outsourced to a foreign company and I am left scrambling for a new one.

Well, that's about as extreme as it gets. Sorry to hear it. Keep the faith, something will come along.

Pinch?

Over here it's been more like a strangle hold for quite some time. Just recently the pressure seems to be abating and moving toward a pinch. My business has improved noticeably over the past month. Whether that trend continues is the big question.

How much do you attribute to the economy, instead of the normal slowdown of the non terrorist.... hep hum tourist season

How much do you attribute to the economy, instead of the normal slowdown of the non terrorist.... hep hum tourist season

90% local economy, 10% tourism for my business.

When (if?) the housing industry and construction resume again the economy will get back on track. It's all about jobs here.

90% local economy, 10% tourism for my business.

When (if?) the housing industry and construction resume again the economy will get back on track. It's all about jobs here.

It's much the same here. Foreclosures are being reoccupied slowly, so with any luck, building will resume in the near future.

We're seeing the lowest volumes at the Health System I work for in years. If people are scrimping on healthcare, you know it's not good.

We're seeing the lowest volumes at the Health System I work for in years. If people are scrimping on healthcare, you know it's not good.

Sadly, that's the worst thing you can do, but I understand perfectly. My meds without ins would be costing me about 250 a month, and came close to going off them. Ins plan changed, and wouldn't cover them even though they had been for 3 years. Fought it out with them for months, and got it back on track.

--------------------

Last edited:
Inventory is probably about lowest it has been in 60+ years. We've been in busy 80 years. Plus fighting Cash For Clunkers in trying to get my money from government. In past 12-18 months business has not been good or fun.

We're very fortunate in that both Mrs Sarge and I work for Uncle Sam. Kinda recession proof.

But you wouldn't believe the people around here that whine about their jobs. My former military response is usually something along the line of "Have you seen what's going on? You could be over there in the unemployment line"

Actually, alot of them need to be, but that's another thread

----------------

Last edited:
Mike, I am 40 and am considering it.

elephant - don't do it unless you have a fundamental desire to serve your country. i witnessed alot of misery among soldiers who joined just for job security...
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/11/AR2009081100988.html?hpid=topnews

'A Recovery Only a Statistician Can Love'
Data That Point to Improving Economy Also Suggest Continued Pain for Many
By Annys Shin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The pile of economic data indicating that the worst of the recession is over just keeps growing. In the past few weeks, the government has reported that businesses last month shed the smallest number of jobs in nearly a year. The savings rate, after rising rapidly, held steady at levels not seen in at least five years. And from April to June, productivity surged to a six-year high.

But the same data also explain why any recovery isn't going to feel like one anytime soon for millions of Americans. Its existence will be confirmed by statistics, but, over at least the next year, the benefits are unlikely to materialize in the form of higher wages or tax receipts or more jobs.

"It's going to be a recovery only a statistician can love," Wells Fargo senior economist Mark Vitner said.

A few recent pieces of data offered reasons for both hope and trepidation.

Click on link for more

Inventory is probably about lowest it has been in 60+ years. We've been in busy 80 years. Plus fighting Cash For Clunkers in trying to get my money from government. In past 12-18 months business has not been good or fun.

We've been selling bikes at wholesale prices because the floor plan is killing us at this point.

What's hurt us even more is the transition to EFI on the Bonneville line. We're still sitting on five 08 carbonated bikes because those who do have the means to buy want the EFI, larger displacement bike.

I wish I was in the market, because I can buy the same bike I have now for less then I paid in 05. If I didn't have so many "one off" custom mods, I'd trade it in.........

We're very fortunate in that both Mrs Sarge and I work for Uncle Sam. Kinda recession proof.

But you wouldn't believe the people around here that whine about their jobs. My former military response is usually something along the line of "Have you seen what's going on? You could be over there in the unemployment line"

Actually, alot of them need to be, but that's another thread
That's interesting Sarge. I'm in private industry but I work very closely with lots of state/local and some federal government types. They still bitch about their jobs some, and being fair, I can say with good reason. Even so, literally every conversation I hear about that subject always comes around to how thankful they are to have any job right now. The same extends to my colleagues in private industry and my friends as well....and I'm including myself too.

I think the great majority of people realize this isn't your typical, garden variety recession. Either the folks you work with are atypical or they're a bit dense. Regardless, I hope all of them and you and the Mrs. manage to avoid any layoffs.

My company develops software and government contractors are a key part of our customer base. We've managed to keep growing over the past 8 quarters.

That's interesting Sarge. I'm in private industry but I work very closely with lots of state/local and some federal government types. They still bitch about their jobs some, and being fair, I can say with good reason. Even so, literally every conversation I hear about that subject always comes around to how thankful they are to have any job right now. The same extends to my colleagues in private industry and my friends as well....and I'm including myself too.

I think the great majority of people realize this isn't your typical, garden variety recession. Either the folks you work with are atypical or they're a bit dense. Regardless, I hope all of them and you and the Mrs. manage to avoid any layoffs.

Same to ya.

I work in DC nowadays. Seems we have some "entitlement types" that work down here. No matter how good they have it they seem to think they're entitled to more. I guess that's everywhere though

But I, like the folks you know, am just happy to have a job. I've got friends that are in construction and such and they're hurtin' right now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.