• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Smell of Football

Blondie

Thursday evening, 6:00 pm, I will be boarding an American Airlines jet to travel to IAD. I will be at Redskin Park at 8:00 a.m. Friday....ready to watch ONCE AGAIN, the Skins begin the trek that HOPEFULLY ends on February 7, 2010.

I have said this every training camp. I am going to state it here today. IF I am wrong, I will ADMIT it.......and apologize to those who believe.

Jason doesn't have IT. Last year at camp, Murph and JimmiJo and I had lengthy concersations about this very issue. I have not waivered in my thinking that he just doesnt have the skills to sustain a run.

If I am wrong, you may POLITELY ( ;) ) ask me to eat those words.

I will watch Malcolm Kelly. Dear Lord, he has to step up. And of course, my guy from TEXAS......even though he attended that horrible burnt orange school.......I will welcome him into the B&G fold. Clinton, with his new look....shall be called BLONDIE. I want to see his attitude more than anything.

And of course, I will watch for the 8th year, to see if ROCK defies the odds once more and makes this team.

I am ready for the smell of football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a great trip kiddo. If Jimmijo is wearing shorts and sandles, don't mistake the smell of his feet for the smell of football. Murph said there the worst:)

You know, when you think about it. Nobody has 'it' until they have it. Ben has it. Tom has it. Peyton has it. Donovan doesn't. Drew doesn't. Tony doesn't.

At 6-2 last year, he appeared to have something pretty close to 'it'. I look forward to see if he takes the next step. When it is clear he is the reason we are losing the close games, I'll be ready to see someone else in there. For now, I like our chances that we will get over the hump and be a problem for everyone.

Have a great trip. I sure hope you're wrong about JC, but I must admit I'm forcing down that very feeling. Have you looked into tickets at the new enemy behemoth?

Always good to know the Blonde One, is on the job.

As to "it", and whether or not JC is a subscriber, I submit...

Mark Rypien only had "it" for one season.
Doug Williams only had "it" for one quarter.
And, Trent Dilfer never had "it".

"It" isn't necessarily required to get a ring. Though it would be nice to have.

Have a great trip. I sure hope you're wrong about JC, but I must admit I'm forcing down that very feeling. Have you looked into tickets at the new enemy behemoth?

I have looked into tickets.

I have always had 4 tickets on the 20 yd line Redskin side........first row.

THIS YEAR FOR THE SAME PRICE OF THOSE 4, I can get 2 tickets 14 rows up.

The parking passes are gonna be outlandish also.

Blondie said:
Jason doesn't have IT. Last year at camp, Murph and JimmiJo and I had lengthy concersations about this very issue. I have not waivered in my thinking that he just doesnt have the skills to sustain a run.
Are you talking strictly about his skills as a passer (e.g. ability to make decisions, throw accurately, avoid pass rush, etc), or are you talking about his intangibles (leadership, performing under pressure, mental toughness, etc)? Also, out of curiosity, why do you feel this way, and what, if anything, would Jason need to do to change your mind?

Enjoy the trip!

I don't know about the rest of your guys, but I'm not so sure I want to "smell" football. I seem to remember it smelling like Ben Gay and dirty, sweaty socks

I dont know how my favorite texan blond gets up the energy for it.... I am finding I am not feeling the 'thrill' until later and later in the season. Maybe I'll feel it by the first preseason game. Maybe my 5 kids will actually let me watch some football this year :)

We start our conditioning camps for our HS football season tonight. I can't tell you how amped up and excited I am for all of it. It's a great feeling to know we're starting again.

As far as the 'Skins go, I think you're on point. Campbell, at this point, doesn't have 'it'. But that doesn't mean he can't get 'it'. Very few guys enter the league with that little unidentifiable trait.

Tom Brady certainly didn't enter the league with 'it'.

Peyton did.

We'll see how it goes. I just want to see the Redskins succeed. If it's with Campbell, awesome. If it's with someone else, great! Just win! :)

Are you talking strictly about his skills as a passer (e.g. ability to make decisions, throw accurately, avoid pass rush, etc), or are you talking about his intangibles (leadership, performing under pressure, mental toughness, etc)? Also, out of curiosity, why do you feel this way, and what, if anything, would Jason need to do to change your mind?

Enjoy the trip!

I think it is all of the above. From his very first camp, I have not been a JC fan. He has had happy feet, deer in the headlights vision, and lack of seeing the big picture on the field. I think the game gets too fast for him. Does he have "spurts" of competence..sure.......but that doesn't mean he has it.

Remember, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.

I dont know how my favorite texan blond gets up the energy for it.... I am finding I am not feeling the 'thrill' until later and later in the season. Maybe I'll feel it by the first preseason game. Maybe my 5 kids will actually let me watch some football this year

If I had 5 kiddos I am sure what I would be feeling would be craziness!!! I don't know how YOU do it!!

We start our conditioning camps for our HS football season tonight. I can't tell you how amped up and excited I am for all of it. It's a great feeling to know we're starting again.

As far as the 'Skins go, I think you're on point. Campbell, at this point, doesn't have 'it'. But that doesn't mean he can't get 'it'. Very few guys enter the league with that little unidentifiable trait.

Tom Brady certainly didn't enter the league with 'it'.

Peyton did.

We'll see how it goes. I just want to see the Redskins succeed. If it's with Campbell, awesome. If it's with someone else, great! Just win! :)

So how much time does it take to get it? His time is so up in my eyes. Of course, I am not the coach......nor do I pretend to be. I think this is his last year as I don't see him leading this team to a February date with destiny.

The fact that the front office has been looking for a replacement for Campbell makes me wonder. Zorn seems to be happy with his progress, but that may be him stuck with someone he doesn't think can do it but wants to give him confidence to do what he can.

This year will be his year to either prove the FO wrong or find the door out to the real world. Zorn is a good QB coach and has spent quite a bit of time with him and we will see how this year goes. I suspect if Campbell doesn't get it we will get to see Colt in there at some point this year. I know Colt says they have told him he is going to get a lot of playing time in the pre-season.

I think Brady did have 'it' when he entered the league, the experts just didn't realize it.

Once he got a chance to play in his second season, due to Bledsoe's injury, the Patriots won 11 of the 14 games he started, he threw more td's than Peyton Manning, and was named to the Pro Bowl.

I think Brady did have 'it' when he entered the league, the experts just didn't realize it.
I mean, of course he had it went he entered the league. :)
8.jpg

Note to self:

Do not get too excited to go to TC and for the start of the season that you forget sunblock. Remember 3rd degree shoulder burns are not fun. :blush:

Note to Blondie:

Please remind me to bring sunblock :new_idea:

Some kids learn to read music and can play competently.
Some kids can't read music but feel it in their souls and play passionately.
Some kids learn to read music and then play competently with passion and inspiration.

Same with football.
"IT" is usually found in the last two descriptions.

Some kids learn to read music and can play competently.
Some kids can't read music but feel it in their souls and play passionately.
Some kids learn to read music and then play competently with passion and inspiration.

Same with football.
"IT" is usually found in the last two descriptions.

If a person is being paid to play music, they better play well or they wont be paid for long and no one will buy their music.

He is being paid big bucks to perform.

He hasn't ....up to now.....in a consistent manner.

I cant see him getting another chance beyond this year if he doesnt step up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.