• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

AP: Romo's a no-go in the eyes of Giants' Jacobs

Chris

Ring of Fame
BGO Ownership Group
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/sfl-p2-leftrail-s072009sbjul20,0,1255680.story

Romo's a no-go in the eyes of Giants' Jacobs

July 20, 2009

New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, left, tossed some bulletin-board material Tony Romo's way during an interview with ESPN 1050 in New York.

"I don't think he's that good a passer, to be honest with you," Jacobs said.

Jacobs said he thinks that Romo can't survive as a pure pocket passer, that much of Romo's success is based on improvising on the run.

"I'm not a fan of Tony Romo, no," Jacobs said.

"Keep him in the pocket, he's not that good. ... His luck will be gone sooner or later. If you were to keep Tony Romo in the pocket, he's not that effective."

— The Associated Press

Copyright © 2009, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Jacobs has always talked way too much for a guy who's never gotten out of the committee.

That said, we'll find out plenty about Romo this year now that TO is gone.

Jacobs is accurate in his assessment of Romo. A pocket passer he is not but he does have a savy in the pocket and has good footwork to escape a defensive rush. When he is contained in the pocket he is an average QB at best. And with his TD machine gone...who does he have now....Roy Williams is overhyped and we will all see soon!

This season can't come fast enough!

Romo's play may improve this year because of his breakup with Jessica Simpson, who seemed to be a major distraction during games to the pretty boy quarterback. Maybe now he won't be taking any in-season trips to Cabo San Lucas and focusing on football instead. Actually, that's not good news for the Redskins.

Speaking of Simpson, that black/blue and red-striped dress she wore at Tiger Woods' golf tournament a few weeks ago at Congressional Country Club was hideous.

If we don't see Romo romantically linked with another celebrity, I think that his play might improve. He was linked to Carrie Underwood for a little while. Maybe they'll get back together? One can only hope some other distraction will come around the corner. :D

I don't confuse Romo with Ken Stabler or Tom Brady in terms of pocket passing skills, but I also don't undervalue him as much as Jacobs and many others seem to.

I've always thought Romo was a playmaker, plain and simple. Noboby criticized Fran Tarkenton or Steve Young for their mobility, any more than you'd criticize Brady or Peyton Manning for their lack of it. There are different kinds of QB's and different ways of getting the job done.

The only objective criticism I've ever had of Romo is he's streaky. When things are going well, he's dead on balls accurate and as dangerous as any QB in the league--particularly because of his escapability and ability to throw on the move and from multiple "platforms." But he's also proven prone to the killer mistake and/or coming up just a little bit short in crunch time ... and that's something that has kept him, in my view anyway, from ascending to the upper tier.

The hope as a Redskins fan is that his streakiness and inability to consistently come through in crunch time end up outweighing his natural playmaking ability and that he's peaked already. If he ever gets over the hump, though, seriously learns to protect the ball and avoid those inexplicable down periods, he's a guy I frankly would rather not face twice a year.

You get a bit of a different picture of him living here in Dallas. While the local sports machine gives him a hard time about the Jessica Simpson thing, at the end of the day they don't put his on field issues on that at all. In fact, most of the reports here laugh that talk off.

What you hear here is that maybe he isn't as focused as he should be. For example, he has been in the news a lot lately for his golf exploits and the local news guys don't like that one bit. There is the view here that Romo might even be more interested in playing golf than football and he could be warming up for a shot at the PGA tour. Not sure how much of that is serious and how much is just looking for something to blame the Cowboys lack of success on.

He is not seen as a student of the game but rather as a Brett Favre want-to-be where he just pretty much shows up and tosses it around the sandlot.

Last edited:
I'm still a huge fan of Romo in light of his continued late season disappointments.

This year, for sure, will be a defining season for him and R. Williams.

Not many excuses will be available for Williams this time around.

That said, it's not a make or break year just yet. I would just like to see consistent play and a more cohesive offensive unit now that the 'distractions' have been removed from t he equation.

He's still young, and the offense, for the most part is young and just coming into their prime. I expect a good season out of Romo. He may not put up the numbers he did without T.O. around, but I think he will be more consistent and I expect less turnovers as a result. Which, as we know, is huge in today's game.

Brandon Jacobs said:
"Keep him in the pocket, he's not that good. ..."
Isn't that like saying 'Keep Brandon Jacobs outside the tackles, and he's not that good'?

Scrambling is an important part of his game and it's one that's hard to scheme against.

All that said, I do agree he's a bit overrated. I'll be curious to see what he can do without TO, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this season reveal that he's not quite as good as most people previously thought, and similarly, Trent Edwards may not have been as bad as most people thought either.

As much as I can't stand the guy, TO is still a very influential player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.