• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Movie Stars from the 40's and 50's

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
So we watched North by Northwest and Charade last night; great movies both. Eva Marie Saint is gorgeous, and Audrey Hepburn, as always is magnificent. But what struck me was how Cary Grant is the very definition of style and sexy in both these movies. It's not forced or artificial, like it is today so often, it's just who he is.

There is a difference between movie stars of that era and today that I can't put my finger on. They seem gorgeous-er if you will, though I know a lot had to do with makeup and so on. But it's more than that. Ingrid Bergman in Notorious is just gorgeous, without being sensual or slutty or anything. More of an attitude?

Anyway, not sure what I'm looking for in this thread, just wanted to share. I wonder when the "changeover" to what movie stars are like today took place?

Is it more about the way men are portrayed in today's movies? Back then, men were men! Well, maybe Cary Grant isn't the best example of how men were men. :rotflmao:

Not to get this thread off-course, but I'm not convinced Cary Grant was gay. There were rumors, sure, but he was married 5 times and during his day was considered one of the most active 'womanizers' in Hollywood. If he was gay, he spent an awfully large portion of his time playing the straight role....

I know what you mean Goaldeje - but I think it had a lot to do with the kinds of movies that were made back then. The pacing was a lot different and there was time for subtlety, flirtation, for a slow burn to work. Movies now move a lot faster. Emotions are mostly thrust in your face rapidly - backed up with a sweeping, booming soundtrack so we know what we're supposed to feel and when to feel it. Just a whole different vibe. Interesting topic though - I can't tell you how many actresses of that era I have had life-long infatuations with...

Good point Boone. I still maintain Grace Kelly is the prettiest human being I have ever seen, and from all accounts, she even prettier in person. Again though, it isn't just the facial features and body shape; it's an attitude, a way of moving, etc.

I think you're probably right about the differences in movies today. I really enjoy some movies that come out now, but I think most days I would rather watch something from that era. Better acting, better stories, more development. Even in something relatively fast paced like North by Northwest, you really care about Eva Marie Saint's character by the end.

I recently watched Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and was blown away by how gorgeous Elizabeth Taylor was. Add to that her talent as an actress, a great script and cast around her and I have to say it was one of the best movies I have seen all year.

My favorite vintage movie though is Casablanca. Goaldeje, while you are enamored by the beauty of Grace Kelly, I am equally as mesmerized by Ingrid Berman's beauty. She was such a beautiful woman she passed it on to her daughter who is amazingly gorgeous as well, Isabella Rossellini.

I recently watched Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and was blown away by how gorgeous Elizabeth Taylor was. Add to that her talent as an actress, a great script and cast around her and I have to say it was one of the best movies I have seen all year.

My favorite vintage movie though is Casablanca. Goaldeje, while you are enamored by the beauty of Grace Kelly, I am equally as mesmerized by Ingrid Berman's beauty. She was such a beautiful woman she passed it on to her daughter who is amazingly gorgeous as well, Isabella Rossellini.

Listen, Ingrid Bergman is amazing in Casablanca, but you should check her out in Notorious as well. Stunning, and an incredible actress. Audrey Hepburn may have a Funny Face (I crack me up :)), but I consider her to be positively lovely. And a terrific actress as well. Go check out Wait until Dark, great movie all the way around.

Listen, Ingrid Bergman is amazing in Casablanca, but you should check her out in Notorious as well. Stunning, and an incredible actress. Audrey Hepburn may have a Funny Face (I crack me up :)), but I consider her to be positively lovely. And a terrific actress as well. Go check out Wait until Dark, great movie all the way around.

I think Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's was as lovely an actress as there is, but she is rather skinny for my taste. Although Ingrid Bergman is one of my all time favorites, it is the curvaceous Elizabeth Taylor that I favor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.