• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Florida Woman, 90, Behind the Same Wheel 559,000 Miles Later

Sarge

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,533803,00.html?test=faces

The last time Rachel Veitch bought a car, gas cost 39 cents per gallon, Lyndon B. Johnson was in the White House and "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena" was a hit song on the radio.

Nearly 600,000 miles later, the 90-year-old Florida woman still drives her 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente every day.

Go, Granny, Go.

Veitch, of Orlando, credits her meticulous care and near-obsessive dedication to her car -- she calls it "Chariot" -- as the reason it's still turning over every morning, year after year after year. The retired nurse maintains an exhaustive collection of maintenance records and changes the oil every 3,000 miles.

"When I buy gas, I write down the mileage, the date and how many miles per gallon I got," Veitch told FOXNews.com. "I've never been a destructive person and I've just taken care of everything, except my husbands."

Veitch, a mother of four, bought "Chariot" in February 1964 from a dealer in Sanford, Fla., for $3,289. The car has outlasted her three marriages and has gone through eight mufflers, at least 17 batteries and three sets of shocks. Its odometer recently clicked 559,000 miles.

I don't know who looks in better shape, the 90 year old, or the car. Wow.
For the click-lazy, here they are, still together...

[media]http://www.foxnews.com/images/546432/0_61_rachel_320.jpg[/media]

Great line about her husbands too :)

PS - demo-ing our Goldbrick Media hack here which will auto-post photos, youtube videos, mp3s, some other things. All you have to do is post the link to the item and it should post it as above. If it doesn't, you can manually add the [media] and [/media] tags yourself. It's a little tempermental, but generally works very well.

Last edited:
So they old saying "They don't make them like they used to" is really true!!

"I've never been a destructive person and I've just taken care of everything, except my husbands."

Classic!

I guess she wasn't as diligent changing their oil. :drummer:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,533803,00.html?test=faces

Veitch, a mother of four, bought "Chariot" in February 1964 from a dealer in Sanford, Fla., for $3,289.

There's almost no way that she paid that much for that car. Late 60's muscle cars, like a '69 Chevelle SS 396 were sold new for about $3000, and a mercury comet was economy car.

1964 Mercury Comet Weight, Price and Production

Caliente
hardtop coupej.........2,688.....$2,375.....31,2043

There's almost no way that she paid that much for that car. Late 60's muscle cars, like a '69 Chevelle SS 396 were sold new for about $3000, and a mercury comet was economy car.

1964 Mercury Comet Weight, Price and Production

Caliente
hardtop coupej.........2,688.....$2,375.....31,2043

The other money was the finace charge.

;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.