• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Steve Marino and Mark Calcavecchia unlikely British Open contenders

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Marino is a fraternity brother of mine:

TURNBERRY, Scotland -- The annual chartered plane from the John Deere Classic to the British Open carried quite the motley assortment from Illinois to the west coast of Scotland on Sunday night.

It carried a 29-year-old with zero links experience and a passport he hadn't even brought to Illinois, and it carried a 49-year-old who finds experience "way overrated" and salved his screaming back unapologetically with beers.

After 36 holes at Turnberry, those two are among the top three on the leaderboard.

"I've played four links rounds -- two practice rounds and then the first two rounds -- ever," said Steve Marino, who didn't figure he would make the 156-man field until he vaulted up the alternates list through withdrawals and sent his father flying from Virginia to Florida to overnight the passport.

Click here for the rest of the story

Despite Tiger failing to make the cut, lots of intrigue in this one...would love to see Tom Watson win one for us geezers :)

It's not that I can't believe he didn't make the cut. What was shocking was the seeming grace and calm he handled it with. I found that incredible - knowing how competitive he is - and given this is only the 2nd time in his career he's failed to make a major cut.

Now what will be interesting is if he continues to struggle. We've not seen Woods deal with a slump along the lines of what guys like Lefty, Greg Norman, and many others have weathered. Unlikely he'd fall into that kind of a trap, but the guy is, apparently, human.

i don't think tiger is slumping, he's still working on that new swing - this is what, his fifth evolutionary change? paid dearly today though. as for watson, didn't he just get a hip replacement a few months ago?

Despite Tiger failing to make the cut, lots of intrigue in this one...would love to see Tom Watson win one for us geezers :)

With Tiger gone, the U.S. television interests have to be thrilled that Watson got it back together yesterday.

I don't care if you like golf or not, you have got to love the story Watson is writing at Turnberry right now. Whether he wins it or not, this is amazing to watch. About the only thing that would have made it more amazing was if he was fighting with Tiger for the Jug.

Watson - one up with two to play. Wow.

too bad tommy ran out of gas at the end, the cup was right there for the taking. still one of my favs all-time. amazing how his swing remains nearly flawless, albeit with less torque from his legs, aging like a fine wine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.