• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

"John Adams" Treatment

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
So the wife and I are finishing up the HBO John Adams miniseries I got for Christmas. Very nicely done, will be reading the book shortly.

So who would you like to see get the "John Adams" treatment?

I would love to see something on Winifield Scott, who commanded many of the better-known Civil War generals before they became famous. And I would fascinated to see something on Stonewall Jackson or Robert E Lee as a Civil War buff.

Thoughts?

Thomas Paine, who's becoming one of my favorite authors. I want to know how an Englishman became one of the biggest advocates for American independence.

Ben Franklin is, in my mind, our most fascinating forefather. He was apparently such a character, film usually focuses on his sense of humor and personality. But he was an amazing guy. I'd love to see a really indepth look at his life, whether via miniseries or film.

I loved the John Adams series too. What a great job by Paul Giamatti...I even got my daughter interested in it....

I would like to see a thoroughly researched, accurate and quality made series about Mohamed. The only problem I see with this is the fear factor. I think it could be a great series, but there is always the concern of a hyper sensitive few Muslims who would protest since there are those who believe any likeness of Mohamed is forbidden or would more than likely disagree with any depiction at all.

Think about it, here is someone who is orphaned as a child, sent to his Uncle, raised in a powerful clan, becomes a successful trader, falls in love, marries his wealthy boss who is his elder, claims to encounter the angel Gabriel, claims to be given the word of God, and conquers a barren land by the sword while spreading a religious/political movement throughout Arabia, a movement that would rule much of the world for a thousand years and eventually become the 2nd largest religious movement the world has ever known.

McCullough, who wrote the book upon which the series was based, also wrote a really really good book about Harry Truman. I'd love to see that made into a mini-series someday.

I would say Ben Franklin is a good choice too. Most of us only think about him as an old man, but he led an absolutely remarkable life. He was, in my opinion, the last of the true renaissance men, quite possibly the greatest man of his era. And that's saying something.

I would love to see something on Winifield Scott, who commanded many of the better-known Civil War generals before they became famous. And I would fascinated to see something on Stonewall Jackson or Robert E Lee as a Civil War buff.

I would like to see something on Stonewall or Lee as well. Had family that served under both men.

My great, great, (or whatever) grandfather served under Jackson. He came home after Jackson was killed and proclaimed war was over. This was from my father's side of the family.

On my mother's side, my great, great grandfather ran a supply depot at what is now Gloucester Point. A great uncle had a letter from Lee asking for bacon and other supplies days before Appomattox. My aunt did something with the letter and no one knows where it is.

I love history. Would like to see more done on the generals and admirals from WWII. It would be interesting to see something done from the perspective of the foot soldier and sailor.

I would like to see something on Stonewall or Lee as well. Had family that served under both men.

My great, great, (or whatever) grandfather served under Jackson. He came home after Jackson was killed and proclaimed war was over. This was from my father's side of the family.

On my mother's side, my great, great grandfather ran a supply depot at what is now Gloucester Point. A great uncle had a letter from Lee asking for bacon and other supplies days before Appomattox. My aunt did something with the letter and no one knows where it is.

I love history. Would like to see more done on the generals and admirals from WWII. It would be interesting to see something done from the perspective of the foot soldier and sailor.

You should consider reading some of the novels by Jeff Shaara. They are fiction, but strongly based in historical fact, and often he takes the vantage point of the field soldier. Now, he does a lot with the generals and field commanders as well, particularly in his Civil War novels; but in his World War I novel and the WWII Trilogy, much is told from the perspective of the soldier.

Good reads!

You know what I'd like to see is a good movie about WWI. It was such a significant event and such a brutal war but it seems largely forgotten these days. WWII has gotten decent coverage from recent filmmakers. It would be really cool if someone would do the same for The Great War.

EDIT:

You should consider reading some of the novels by Jeff Shaara. They are fiction, but strongly based in historical fact, and often he takes the vantage point of the field soldier. Now, he does a lot with the generals and field commanders as well, particularly in his Civil War novels; but in his World War I novel and the WWII Trilogy, much is told from the perspective of the soldier.

Shaara recently wrote a pretty good book about WWI called 'To the Last Man.' The second half of the book is written largely from the perspective of a private in the marines. Really good stuff.

Last edited:
You know what I'd like to see is a good movie about WWI. It was such a significant event and such a brutal war but it seems largely forgotten these days. WWII has gotten decent coverage from recent filmmakers. It would be really cool if someone would do the same for The Great War.

EDIT:

Shaara recently wrote a pretty good book about WWI called 'To the Last Man.' The second half of the book is written largely from the perspective of a private in the marines. Really good stuff.

Yep, To the Last Man was very well done I thought. And I agree with you that WWI is vastly uncovered today, and contains some fascinating stories. I would particularly like to see something on military strategy and adaptation in that war.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.