09-08-12, 01:36 PM #121
A final update on the Jeff Demps situation that I found educational on a few levels. Seeing as how he isn't a Redskin, we may want to move this thread after.
But first, this may answer a few behind-the-scenes questions about NFL life, and IR.
1. He isn't injured. He did get a ding, but nothing that would keep him off the field for any length of time.
2. The Patriots couldn't stash him on the PS, as they believe he would have been picked up immediately.
3. He is being paid exactly $25,000 per week. Not bad work if you can get it. That equates to $400,000 per year.
4. His contract is for three years. Jeff has the ability to walk, or renegotiate after the second season. His first season will be spent on IR.
5. He is expected to spend most of the season in New England, and not near his home in Florida. He will spend most of his time working out and studying the playbook. The team wants him to add some muscle to increase his durability for a career in football.
6. Surprisingly to me, Jeff is happy with this. In the same situation, I believe I would be angry. But he makes $400k this season, and he gets to play the next. If he has a big year next season, he can then immediately walk to the highest bidder. So he will be playing for a contract next year.
7. One final note. We've all heard about these stories before, and it's sad when they happen. But there is some animosity about how his entry into the league was handled. Jeff let his father be his manager and agent until very recently. Jeff's father, either through inexperience, or through a desire to help himself financially, steered Jeff to a local attorney who was a personal friend. That attorney then became his agent, instead of signing with a more reputable, seasoned name.
That's it. I'll be pulling for him next season, and I hope he has a great one. I expect he will have a new agent by the end of next year, and he may still end up as a Skin when it is all said and done.
09-08-12, 03:07 PM #122
- Join Date
- Deerfield Beach, FL
- Liked Posts
- 217 times
By McD5 in forum Sons of WashingtonReplies: 29Last Post: 04-25-12, 04:15 PM
By McD5 in forum Sons of WashingtonReplies: 20Last Post: 04-23-12, 02:11 PM
By Neophyte in forum Sons of WashingtonReplies: 12Last Post: 01-27-12, 11:43 AM
By MikeSr619 in forum Sons of WashingtonReplies: 13Last Post: 04-08-10, 12:36 AM
By Lanky Livingston in forum NFC EastReplies: 7Last Post: 08-10-09, 11:39 AM