• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

This Is Very Cool

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
When I took the kids to the planetarium the other night, the director told me about this awesome thing he stumbled upon. It's on the astronomy picture of the day site, but it's a Flash animated scale model that you can zoom in or out on that compares the sizes of various different things in our own world, and the rest of the universe. It goes down as small as unconfirmed things like quarks and quark foam, and zooms all the way out to the largest known stars, and everything like viruses, amoebas, humans, bugs, states, etc. in between.

When you click the start button, it takes about 20 seconds before it's active, but then you just click and move the slider at the bottom of the picture to zoom in and out. I think it's really neat.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120312.html

It really puts into perspective how microscopic and insignificant we really are in relation to the universe.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.